Skip to main content Skip to footer

Building and Renovating Permits

Building Applications

New Online Permitting System

Township of Stirling-Rawdon has moved to a new online permitting system, Cloud Permit. To submit a permit, you must first create an account. Once an account is created you will be able to apply for permits fully online. 

Visit to create an account and submit your permit!

The Building Inspection Services Board (BISB) looks after building inspections for Stirling-Rawdon, Deseronto, Madoc Township, Marmora and Lake, Tweed, and Tyendinaga.

The Chief Building Official (CBO) for the BISB is Richard Cook.

Deputy CBO Skylor Genereaux/Inspector Tanner Crocker Township of Stirling-Rawdon Office Hours – Monday  9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. and Friday 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.

Book an inspection or Questions related to your plans contact  1-613-395-5166 or 1-866-414-0088

Home Owners are responsible for getting the appropriate permits and approvals from the following (when required) before applying for a building permit, as per the Ontario Building Code:

  1. Quinte Conservation Authority: 613-968-3434
  2. Ministry of Environment: 1-800-565-4923
  3. Ministry of Transportation: 705-755-5714
  4. Ministry of Agriculture, Food & Rural Affairs – MDS Contacts: 613-475-1630

Changes to the Building Code Act & Ontario Building Code

Effective January 1, 2012, the Ontario Building Code made many changes that may affect you. Also, persons engaged in the business of providing “design activities”must meet prescribed qualifications. Design includes a plan, specification, sketch, drawing or graphic representation respecting the construction of a building.

Additional information, including the text of the Regulation, and Questions and Answers, can be found at the Ministry’s website,

List of Construction Projects that Require a Permit

Permits required for:

  • All new construction.
  • To remove any partitions.
  • To move or relocate any plumbing fixtures.
  • To construct or replace any roof structure.
  • To construct any addition to existing dwelling.
  • To install any door or window where none exists.
  • To install any door or window which is larger than the existing one.
  • To construct any footings.
  • To construct any basement under an existing structure.
  • To construct any deck.
  • To construct any addition to an existing storage shed so that total area exceeds 10 square metres.
  • To construct any boat port or boat house or dock. 13. To construct any concrete floor which covers or encases plumbing.
  • To install any wood burning, solid fuel burning appliance, chimney
  • To add a porch (screened or glass) to any dwelling. 16. To add roof to any existing deck.
  • To install insulation and vapour barrier.
  • To construct a carport.
  • To change use of a building.
  • To demolish a building, or any part of a building.
  • To replace a shingle roof with steel.
  • To install, repair, replace septic system or part thereof.

Permit not required:

  • To re-shingle any roof (shingles to shingles).
  • To replace siding.
  • To replace doors or windows of the same size.
  • To install or repair soffit or fascia.
  • To construct any storage building less than 10 sq. m. (Note: must meet set back requirements of Zoning By-law).

Where to Obtain a Permit

Please contact your local Municipal Office.

What Needs to be Supplied to get a Permit?

  • A fully completed Municipality APPLICATION form
  • Two (2) sets of PLANS for the proposed construction, renovation etc.
  • A copy of the roof truss drawings (stamped by a P.Eng. (When applicable))
  • A copy of the heat loss calculations (when applicable)
  • A site plan showing the location of the building on the lot i.e. distances from side, rear and front yards
  • Proof of Ownership of Property i.e. copy of registered deed (when Municipal Office has not yet received official notice of change in ownership) 7. A fully completed septic application (when applicable).
  • A copy of an “Entrance Permit” signed by the Road Superintendent and the Property owner when applicable
  • Completion of a Ministry of Agriculture “Minimum Distance Separation” Form

How Long Does it Take to Process a Permit?

  • Minimum of 5 days for decks & garages
  • Minimum of 10 days for house permits
  • Minimum of 30 days for commercial permits

Who Issues the Permit?

  • Permits can be obtained through your local office.
  • Inspections can be obtained by calling 613-395-5166 or 1-866-414-0088. Do NOT call before ready.
  • All information listed under “What Information Do I Need to Supply” to the left must be received and approved before a permit will be issued. (Note:The “USE” of the proposed building construction must also conform to the Municipality’s Zoning By- law before a permit can be issued. TheMunicipality’s Building Permit Application Form requires specific details on the proposed use to be provided.)
  • Construction started prior to the issuance of a Building Permit is in violation of theMunicipality’s Building By-law and the property owner will be subject to an administration fee of $200 and possible fines and penalties as set out in the Set Fines By-law. In addition a “Stop Work Order” will be issued against the subject construction until a permit is obtained.

Plumbing Permit

A Plumbing Permit is required prior to installing or altering any plumbing system.

Septic Permit

Septic Permits are obtained through the Municipal Offices.


A “building” means:

  • A structure occupying an area greater than ten square meters consisting of a wall, roof and floor or any of them or a structural system serving the function thereof including all plumbing, works, fixtures and service systems appurtenant thereto,
  • A structure occupying an area of ten square meters or less that contains plumbing, including the plumbing appurtenant thereto,
  • Plumbing not located in a structure, or
  • Structures designated in the building code

A “construct” means to do anything in the erection, installation, extension or material alteration or repair of a building and includes the installation of a building unit fabricated or moved from elsewhere and “construction” has a corresponding meaning; (“construire”, “construction”, “travaux de construction”).

Subscribe to our News

Stay up to date on the Township's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our News.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.